Metal Detector Used: M-Series (NONE)
CIVIL WAR ARTIFACT PRESERVATION ASSOCIATION "All Artifacts recovered from private land with owner's permission." Archaeological Dig at Civil War Hospital site in Keedysville Maryland This building know historically as Wyand’s store. It is a two-story brick building, six bays long by three bays deep. The building was constructed in 1861- Brick smoke building was built before The battle of Antietam –1862. ? However, when the building was nearly complete, but not yet serving its intended purpose. It was selected by the Union Army as a hospital Just prior to the Battle of Antietam September 1862. It then became a hospital were it is estimated that 200 men were treated. It is therefore, significant for its association with this important Civil War battle and as a store, one of the largest in the county. We are still working on the site to recover any artifacts we can find and preserve.